Departments » Child Nutrition » Pandemic EBT Plan

Pandemic EBT Plan

P-EBT is a temporary food benefit approved by the federal government to help households affected by COVID-19-Related school closures. This program has been extended through the summer to continue to help households.

Summer P-EBT

The State of Vermont will be issuing Pandemic-Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) cards to help with students’ food costs over the summer months. P-EBT benefits are funds provided on an electronic benefit transfer card that a household may use to purchase food items at grocery stores, convenience stores, online retailers, and farmers markets where 3SquaresVT (SNAP) benefits are accepted. For families receiving 3SquaresVT, P-EBT benefits will be added to existing EBT cards. You can find out more about P-EBT benefits by visiting PANDEMIC EBT (P-EBT).

Families who have already received a P-EBT card this school year will have the Summer P-EBT benefit added to their existing card. For families who are newly eligible, a special P-EBT card will be sent from the Vermont Department for Children and Families. Households will receive a one-time allotment of $375 per eligible student. The Summer P-EBT benefit will be issued in late July 2021.

Eligibility for the benefit depends on a child’s eligibility for free and reduced school meals. All children are able to receive free meals this year due to special COVID-19 waivers obtained by the State. However, to receive the P-EBT benefit, students must either have an approved free and reduced meal application on file or have been directly certified for free school meals. Students may be directly certified for free meals if the household received 3SquaresVT or Reach Up benefits or because the student is state-placed foster, migrant, homeless, runaway, or participates in a Head Start program. If you are not already qualified for free and reduced-price meals, you may still submit a free and reduced meal application now to see if you are eligible for the Summer P-EBT benefit.

To apply for free or reduced-price school meals print the linked application or request an application from the child nutrition department by email at [email protected] or by calling your student’s main office. All applications need to be filled out and returned to the foodservice department for processing.
If you need to update your mailing address or head of household information, please contact your school’s main office.