Eligibility for EL Services
Students are determined to be eligible for EL Services through a screening and identification process.
- At the time of registration, parents/guardians of each new student will complete the state required VT Primary/ Home Language Survey. If any language other than English is indicated on the Survey, the EL teacher assigned to that school is notified and provided with a copy of the Survey.
- The EL teacher will review the survey, conduct any necessary interview and/or assessment to determine the EL needs of the student if any.
- If it is determined that this student would benefit from EL services, the EL teacher will develop an EL Student Service Plan which outlines the nature and frequency of language services provided to the student that year. The Service Plan will be revisited throughout the year and maybe revised to meet the changing needs of the student. Parents/guardians will receive notification of assessment results and EL status determination, as well as a copy of the EL Student Service Plan (if applicable). Parents will be given an opportunity to ask questions or share their concerns.
Categories of EL Students
Based on the screening and identification process, EL students fall into one of three categories:
- Active EL Status– A student who qualifies as an English Learner and who receives services from an EL teacher, or has an alternative service plan with a classroom/core teacher. Active EL students also take the annual EL state assessment each spring called the ACCESS.
- Monitor Status – An EL student who has received the minimum required score on the ACCESS test and who is no longer required to test each spring. The State of Vermont requires that these students must be monitored for two additional years. During this time, EL teachers will review student academic records, assessment results and consult with teachers to ensure that the student’s academic progress is not being hindered by language proficiency.
- Exited – Following two years of monitoring, EL students will fully exit the EL program.