Our District » Homeless Liaison » FAQs


Homeless children and youth are individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, and includes
  • Children and youths who are sharing the housing other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;
  • children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings; 
  • children and youths who are living in cars parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
  • Unaccompanied youth, who are not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian
Reach out to the homeless liaison or your child's teacher or another support person at MTSD, they can fill out the referral form for you to begin the process. If your child does qualify for services they will be available for the rest of that school year.
The McKinney-Vento law requires every school district to have a homeless education liaison who works within the school and community to ensure that eligible youth receive the supports they need to access their education. This could include food, school supplies/clothing, transportation to from school or school events.