Homeless Liaison

Does this apply to me?

If you or your family are living in one of the situations below, you may be considered homeless for educational purposes under federal guidelines:
  • residing doubled-up with a friend or family member
  • couch surfing
  • staying in a shelter
  • living in a hotel, motel, camper, vehicle, campground, or other temporary housing situation

Why does the school need to know?

The McKinney-Vento law requires every school district to have a homeless education liaison who works within the school and community to ensure that eligible youth receive the supports they need to access their education. This could include food, school supplies/clothing, transportation to from school or school events.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Homeless children and youth are individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence, and includes
  • Children and youths who are sharing the housing other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;
  • children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings; 
  • children and youths who are living in cars parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
  • Unaccompanied youth, who are not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian
If you meet the guidelines of homelessness under McKinney-Vento, your eligible children have the right to:
  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.
  • Enroll in school immediately, even in lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes with the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school, or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs.
If you are an MTSD faculty or staff member and believe that one of our students is homeless, please make a confidential referral to the MTSD Homeless Liaison by completing the form linked below. The Homeless Liaison will work with the family and a small group of the student's school team to make a plan to best support the student.

Homeless Liaison

Jen Saunders
Homeless Liaison
Kasey Miller
Homeless Program Assistant


Donations of Food can be made anytime between 7:30 and 4:30 in the vestibule of the District Office @ 12 Bradley Street, or by calling Jen Saunders to schedule an appointment.

What donation items are always needed?

  • Microwavable meals
  • Meal Kits
  • Boxed Cereal
  • Macaroni and Cheese and/or Ready Mac
  • Fruit cups
  • Granola/Cereal Bars
  • Toaster Pastries
  • Juice Boxes
  • Soup Bowls (just add hot water)
We also accept donations of clothing, diapers and shoes. Please contact us for the sizes needed.