Does this apply to me?
- residing doubled-up with a friend or family member
- couch surfing
- staying in a shelter
- living in a hotel, motel, camper, vehicle, campground, or other temporary housing situation
Why does the school need to know?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How does McKinney-Vento define homelessness?
- Children and youths who are sharing the housing other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;
- children and youths who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- children and youths who are living in cars parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
- Unaccompanied youth, who are not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian
Rights of Eligible Children
- Receive a free, appropriate public education.
- Enroll in school immediately, even in lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
- Enroll in school and attend classes with the school gathers needed documents.
- Enroll in the local school, or continue attending the school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs.
Internal Use - Making a Referral
Donations of Food can be made anytime between 7:30 and 4:30 in the vestibule of the District Office @ 12 Bradley Street, or by calling Jen Saunders to schedule an appointment.
What donation items are always needed?
- Microwavable meals
- Meal Kits
- Boxed Cereal
- Macaroni and Cheese and/or Ready Mac
- Canned fruit and vegetables
- Bars/Toaster Pastries
- Juice Boxes
- Soup Bowls (just add hot water)