What is PBIS? PBIS is a prevention-oriented way for school personnel to (a) organize evidence-based practices, (b) improve their implementation of those practices, and (c) maximize academic and social behavior outcomes for students.
PBIS supports the success of ALL students.
What does PBIS have to do with school discipline and classroom management? Effective classroom management and preventive school discipline are essential for supporting teaching and learning. PBIS goes further by emphasizing that classroom management and preventive school discipline must be integrated and working together with effective academic instruction in a positive and safe school climate to maximize success for all students.
Families can help support PBIS at MES
Benefits of Family Involvement:
• Higher test scores
• Better grades
• Better attendance
• Higher levels of homework completion
• More positive student motivation
• Improved attitudes about school work
Family Involvement has a positive effect on student behavior:
• When families are involved, students exhibit more positive attitudes and behavior.
• When students report feeling support from both home and school, they have more self confidence, feel school is more important, and they tend to do better in school.
• Student at-risk behaviors such as alcohol use, violence, and other anti-social behaviors decrease as parent involvement increases.